Christ Church Greenwich, which began nearly three hundred years ago as the Horseneck Chapel mission of St. John’s, Stamford, has itself become a mission-sending church, establishing several new congregations in the Greenwich area throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, including Emmanuel at Glenville (1842 - 1910), Calvary at Round Hill (1859 - 1922), St. John’s, Byram (1869-1973), St. Paul’s, Riverside (est. 1894) and St. Barnabas on Lake Avenue (est. 1956). The church has also seen three of it’s Rectors consecrated as Bishops of the Episcopal Church: The Rt. Rev’d Frederick G. Budlong, The Rt. Rev’d Robert B. Appleyard and The Rt. Rev’d Bradford T. Hastings.
The parish’s long tradition of service is readily apparent in the activities of the church today. Christ Church Greenwich has taken an innovative approach to outreach ministries, an approach that focuses on parishioner participation. From our diverse program of locally implemented ministries to our broad-based platform of support for the Diocese of Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Christ Church Greenwich takes seriously its commitment to be in ministry to the world.
The clergy and people of this community of faith are grateful for the opportunities we have had to serve our local community, the Diocese of Connecticut, the Episcopal Church at the national level, and the worldwide Anglican Communion. With God’s help, we will continue to proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ, and to strive for justice and peace among all people.